Monday, July 28, 2014

Vacation knitting

When you pack and plan for an upcoming holiday, do you include knitting projects? I do! As I mentioned in my last post, I have a vacation coming up sandwiched by long long long drives. So not only do I need knitting for the relaxing part, but I also need knitting for the 12 hour drive each way. That's my kind of trip!

I plan to pack two projects (maybe a third... ). The first is a design for a wonderful yarn company, which I obviously cannot go into detail about, sorry. The second is the Sand and Sea Shawlette by Alana Dakos.


This project to me is the quintessential vacation project. It is small, lightweight, portable, interesting yet not too difficult. I have started the shawlette, but still have a ways to go. Mine is made from Three Irish Girls' Glenhaven Casmerino in Driftwood and The Fibre Company's Canopy Fingering in Manatee. Both yarns are to-die-for in so many ways: loft, spring, feel, wear, color.... oh my!


Need a few ideas of projects to travel with? Then look no further. These patterns were selected with several factors in mind: portability (size of finished object), heaviness (no one wants to cart around an afgan while on a trip), and fiddliness (yep, made that word up. No knitting with 8 different colors and three different needle sizes on the train).

Here are my vacation knitting picks:

For you...
Turkish Bed Socks by Churchmouse Yarns and Teas
Antiquity by Alicia Plummer
Typha by Kirsten Kapur
Black Bunny by Andi Smith
Harriet's Tam by Meg Roke
Maxine by Leah McGlone

For him...
Turn A Square by Jared Flood
Gansey Scarf by Megan Goodacre


For the kids...
Sardines by Andrea Sanchez
(various woodland) mittens by Birch Hollow Cottage
Kyle Vest by Connie Chang Chinchio

No comments:

Post a Comment