Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Sweater # 5

Last week, I finished sweater #5 of my 12 in 2012 project.


Acacia is a cute little tank pattern by Georgie Hallam with a great size range from 12 months to 10 years. When knit in the recommended DK cotton yarn, it makes a fun summer top. However, if this were knit in a wool or wool blend I bet it would look adorable over a short sleeve or long sleeve tee for those cooler months. The pattern is organized nicely with color coded sizing, clear directions, and offers two options for the body design and bind off.


I used stash yarn, Knit Pick's Comfy Worsted in the Serrano colorway, to make Emma's sweater. Great little stash-buster! I used up my entire supply of this yarn, a little less than 3 skeins. Comfy is a surprisingly soft and smooth yarn that knits up easily and (bonus!) is machine-washable, too.  I definitely recommend it for children's clothing and toys.


Originally, I planned to add a gingham print ribbon for the bow, but then I came across this cute red and white polka dot ribbon. Alas, when I arrived home with the ribbons, I discovered the back side of the polka dot ribbon was plain red. It just didn't look right with an already plain red sweater. So the reversible gingham worked out instead.


The designer suggests to knit the size sweater with the closest chest measurements to the recipient's chest measurements because it is meant to be fitted. So with this in mind, I chose to knit the size 3. However, I used a slightly larger weight yarn (Comfy is supposed to be worsted, but it is more like a cross between a light worsted or a heavy DK if you can imagine that) expecting my garment to end up like a size 4, which it did. Kids grow incredibly fast, so the larger size will allow for a longer life of the sweater.


And as expected, it is a little big on Emma.

Because of the bright red color, I plan to make her wear it on July 4th, but otherwise, I think this cutie will be put away for next summer.



I do think she has another one in her future, maybe knit in Springvale DK in the Passion Punch colorway?

1 comment:

  1. This is adorable! I love the color (and the model!!)

    ReplyDelete