Monday, May 7, 2012

Gum Drop Pillow

Miraculously (and I cannot stress that word enough), I managed to complete this project in one afternoon. You've got to remember that I have an infant and a toddler around me 24/7, making any crafting challenging.

Years ago, I made Amy Butler's Lotus Brick Path Quilt (a perfect quilt for beginners) using a variety of fabrics from her Faded China Lotus line. I love this quilt. It was the perfect project for my first quilt.

Our super chunky cat, Sasha, liked it, too.

It's been five years (I think) since I made that quilt and I still enjoy how the fresh colors and cheerful prints brighten up my living room. This quilt takes up residence on my couch during the spring and summer months. The other day it struck me that my room needed a little something. After perusing through my sewing books and sewing websites, I decided to order and make another Amy Butler pattern, the Gum Drop Pillow, using some of the fabrics in my quilt.



Amy Butler's Gum Drop Pillow pattern is super cute. I really enjoyed sewing up this simple and sweet project. I am not an experienced sewer - most of my projects have been rectangular- so I appreciated all of the helpful images and clearly written instructions provided in the pattern packet. 



Happily, I am able to report that I only experienced one "oops" moment. Instead of sewing an edge stitch on the top panel octagon, I sewed a top stitch. I do know the difference, I just wasn't paying attention. It happens. No biggie.


I will say that the pillow is bigger than I imagined when I first ordered the pattern. It's not a problem for my daughter though. She is infatuated with this ottoman/pillow. Since finishing the project on Sunday afternoon, I have seen her laying on it, reading on it, curled up in a ball on it, rolling onto and off of it, jumping on it (I nipped that in the bud quickly) and pushing it around the room like a big hoop and stick. 



I have a feeling that it's going to get a lot of use (or should I say abuse?) in our home.



1 comment:

  1. How lovely! And yes, I think it's going to be a well-loved gum drop!!!

    ReplyDelete