Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Dreaming about Quilts

I am dreaming big right now, dreaming about quilts. To absolutely specific, I am dreaming about making a real quilt this summer.

Many years ago (6-7?), I made a simple patchwork quilt called Lotus Brick Path Quilt from Amy Butler (a free pattern, I might add).

Mine was made in blues and greens (real surprise there).




This was the perfect first-time-quilting experience. The straight sewing was a breeze. Ordering and then playing with the fabrics was incredibly fun, but machine quilting was a major pain. I'm going to be a bad crafter and blame my machine. My mother bailed me out and helped with that part quite a bit (okay, she did most of the machine quilting).


Now it is time to give this quilting thing another go. What I can't decide is if I should dive straight into a twin size quilt for either of my kids or start slightly smaller with a wall hanging or throw? I do have plans to make two table runners this summer. Alas, I cannot find pictures of these anywhere. They are both from Amy Butler's Softwares program. Trust me, they are cute. If you click on that link, watch the images of the patterns change. I plan to make the pink triangle table runner and the blue/green/gray one.

So here are the big project contenders:

1. "The Color Wheel Quilt" from Joelle Hoverson, author of Last-minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts. I'm thinking this would look pretty sweet in my bedroom or in the guest room (aka craft center).



2. "Off Track" from Allison Harris of the Cluck Cluck Sew blog. This would be for Tommy.


3. "Tea Party" also from Allison Harris. This would be for Emma.


Someday.. a long time from now.. I hope to make this to hang in my dining room.



In the meantime, I seem to have gotten my knitting mojo back. So I will be putting the sewing machine aside for a little while. Yesterday, I added up my planned designs for the next 6 months and you won't believe this, but I have 8 in the works! Yowza! Better get clicking...


No comments:

Post a Comment