Monday, June 20, 2011

... and a bit of knitting

Yup, it's been a productive week for me: two sewing projects completed and two knitting projects completed.

Recently, an adorable little knitting book, Spud and Chloe at the Farm, hit the bookshelves. It was written by the very talented Susan B. Anderson. The book is an "adventure" knitting book. Doesn't that sound neat? It is. She designed knitted toy characters for Blue Sky Alpacas' sister company, Spud and Chloe (a line of machine washable yarns in cheerful colors) and created a book filled with knitted animals that Chloe (a little girl) and Spud (her sidekick sheep) meet on the way to a party at a farm. The Spud and Chloe yarn lines are soft, wearable and fun to knit with, but that product review is for another post.

When I heard this book reviewed on Never Not Knitting's podcast ( a must-listen), I knew I had to acquire this book fast. After picking it up at the local bookstore, both my daughter and I fell under its spell. Not only are the characters unbelievably cute to look at, but at the end of the book, there is a multi-paged story (in comic-strip format) for children! So now Emma refers to this book as "hers" and demands I read it to her regularly. She frequently carries the book around the house, making it challenging to make headway on my plan...

Ah, the plan. Somewhere in my mind I thought it would be a brilliant idea to make all of the characters and barn and accessories for my daughter for Christmas. I'm crazy, right? Yep. So I've narrowed it down to about 7 items/animals from the book (out of 13) that hope to be completed by December 25.


One down....



Meet Little Lamb.

He was made from stash yarn, Debbie Bliss' Pure Cotton. Not a huge fan of this yarn, it felt a little raw and ( in my experience) needed to be knit at a much tighter gauge than the label suggests, but he turned out pretty cute. Next on the queue is Brown Cow, who conveniently uses the same yarn colors, thus helping me destash a little. I will have to order some Spud and Chloe Sweater yarn soon to make the rest. Aw, shucks. I have to order yarn.... it's a tough life...


So the other project I finished this week has quickly become my most favorite sweater project EVER. The Castle Pullover, from Quince and Company, was a dream to knit. Clear directions, simple lace pattern, top-down construction and the best part- it fits beautifully - which believe me is a difficult concept for a full-figured lady! I used Quince and Co.'s Lark yarn, which is their worsted weight yarn, in the colorway Storm. 




What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment