Thursday, August 23, 2012

Knit-Night Games

Last night, my friend Mary hosted our knitting group at her home. What a great night! She had delicious snacks (complete with a no-bake mocha cheesecake - yum), good music, lots of space for the knitters to spread out and best of all... knitting games.

Mary was quite clever in coming up with a selection of really fun knitting games. She asked us all to bring a spare set of size 7 or 8 needles and some spare worsted weight yarn (about 10 yards or so). I think it's safe to say to we were all quite intrigued and excited about this mysterious request.

So if you are searching for some laugh-inducing knitting games for your next knitting party, read on.

1. Speed knitting: All of the knitters were asked to cast on 20 stitches and knit one row. Then the timer was set for 1 minute. The knitter with the most rows completed won a prize. (Our fastest knitter completed 2 rows.)

2. Blind knitting: All of the knitters were asked, using the honor system, to knit one row with their eyes closed. The first knitter to do so won a prize.

3. Behind-your-back knitting: All of the knitters were asked to knit with their needles and yarn behind their backs. The first one to complete one row won a prize.

4. Potato-sack knitting: Knitters were paired up  to knit one row with one knitter holding/manipulating the left needle and the other knitter using the right. The first pair to complete one row one prizes.


To say that we had fun would be an understatement. There was quite a bit of laughter and I do believe I saw a few hands wipe away some laugh-induced tears. I'm not sure which was more fun: the actual games or unveiling the prizes. Mary picked up some silly prizes at the dollar store, which in my opinion, were absolutely perfect! I was lucky enough to walk away with some travel toothpaste (for second fastest behind-the-back knitting) and lint rollers (for potato-sack knitting).

Good times, good times.

I can't wait to see what the group comes up with next...

2 comments:

  1. Oh! I was looking for some ideas for the next knitters' meet at my place and you gave me so many!!! Thanks a ton! Happy Knitting :)

    ReplyDelete