Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Favorite Knitting Books

This week I was listening to my new favorite knitting podcast, Wool Junkies (a witty and entertaining new podcast hosted by two friends of mine, Andrea and Mary) where the subject of favorite knitting books came up for discussion. That got me thinking... what are my favorite knitting books?

I admit to having a decent knitting book collection, not huge, but definitely sizable (okay, I'll waddle over to the bookcase to count). Apparently, I have 50 knitting books and 14 booklets (published works by yarn companies created just to feature a particular yarn, such as Rowan's Big Wool or Debbie Bliss' Pure Silk). Is that a lot? So needless to say, I have plenty to consider.

In looking over these books, I have narrowed down my favorites and categorized them.


Go-to books: These are books I pull off my shelf when I'm looking for inspiration, whether it's for a birthday gift for a friend, to satisfy my own need for a quick knit, or for visual aesthetics. I have been known to pull a stack of knitting books off my shelves, plop them next to me on my bed and leisurely flip through each beautiful book for long periods of time. Nicole from the Stash and Burn podcast once describe one of these books as "a book she'd like to live in." So true: Weekend Knitting and Handknit Holidays by Melanie Falick
Last-Minute Knitted Gifts and More Last-Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson









Books to read: Yes, there are some wonderful knitting books on the market that not only have beautiful patterns to offer the reader, but also, captivating literature on various knitting-related subjects such as the history of specific patterns or the process of yarn from sheep to shelf.


The Knitter's Book of Yarn and The Knitter's Book of Wool by Clara Parkes

















Technical knitting books:

The Vogue Stitchionary Books and Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears







 
But my old favorite is the first knitting pattern book I ever received. My mother pulled it from her library and passed it on to me ten years ago when I first learned how to knit. No, it's not some ancient textbook with torn pages and faded pictures. The book I'm referring to has classic patterns, clearly described techniques and an overall inviting presentation with soft hues and visually appealing images...

Knitting Workbook by Debbie Bliss






So what are your favorite knitting books?

No comments:

Post a Comment