Monday, October 3, 2011

Do-Over

I have a beautiful child. No really, she is so so beautiful. And I'm not biased at all!! She is tall, has big blue eyes and is super smart and sweet. The child can do no wrong...

Ha.

Ha..

Ha...

Unfortunately, my little girl has one set-back. She has an enormous head. It's off the charts large. It doesn't look enormous in pictures or when you are in a room with her, but that doesn't change the fact that there is a big noggin resting on that neck.

Anyway, and I really do have a point, I made my daughter a crew-neck pullover this week using a pattern from the talented Jane Richmond. If you have never heard of her, I encourage you to read her blog and most definitely look over her patterns. They are fresh, current, simple and spectacular at the same time. If you have been toying with the idea of making one of her patterns, go for it! You will not be disappointed, I promise.

I made her Classic Raglan Pullover using Dream in Color's Classy yarn in the energetic colorway Punky Fushcia. Such a perky color for a growing kid. This squishy worsted weight yarn is a superwash merino wool with a generous 250 yards in each hank. I chose to make it in size 4, which according to the measurements given for chest and length, would ideally allow Emma to wear this now through next fall.

Knowing what I know about my daughter's head, I was careful to try on the garment (since it is a top down raglan) several times along the way to make sure it would fit. The last time she tried it on was right before I added the collar (the last step before blocking).

After blocking, I excitedly rushed the finished sweater to her and tried to put it on. Ugh. I could not get that sweater over her head, no matter how hard I stretched that collar ( and I did cast off loosely). Bummer. So after all that, I had to rip back the collar and reknit it in the size 6 collar instructions.

And now...


It fits!!!!!!







And she likes it too!!!! Bonus:)

1 comment:

  1. I really want to make a Dave joke here, but I'll hold back.

    ReplyDelete