Monday, December 7, 2015

Yarn Review: Blue Sky Alpacas Sport

I hope you have all taken a few minutes to explore the Knittin' Little website- a fun site with cute knitting patterns for kids and a well written blog by the creator, Andrea Sanchez. In September, she released the inaugural pattern collection for Knittin' Little, which included a design from me, the Sleep Fox Jumper.


Oh how I love this cozy dress and particularly love that sweet little fox! You can read more about the design here and here. Today, however, is all about the yarn: Blue Sky Alpacas' Sport.

This sport weight yarn comes from a company that creates luxurious yet affordable yarns. Blue Sky Alpacas provides generous support for designers and produces a quality yarn for their customers. I have knit with several BSA yarns before, but this was my first experience with Sport.

 
I admit I was hesitant about this yarn choice while swatching. It seemed stiff and not at all forgiving. Forgiveness is key with intarsia. After wet-blocking my little swatch, my patience paid off. What a result! The stitches really softened, settled down, and nestled together, which resulted in fabric with excellent drape and a pretty halo effect. The drape from the alpaca fiber gives the fabric an overall relaxed and comfortable look. I've always felt that intarsia motifs look a bit more polished and professional when the project yarn has a little halo to it.  My daughter Emma (the model), said the dress had a "swishy swirly feeling" when she walked, which is code for awesome yarn.

Petal Pink colorway

Today I have one skein of Blue Sky Alpacas Sport yarn in the Petal Pink to give away to one of my readers.  Be sure to leave a comment below sharing what you'd like to make with this bit of perfection. I foresee cute pair of fingerless mittens for someone.

I will select a winner using the online random number generator next Monday December 14. Be sure to include a way to contact you: email or Ravelry name. Until then, happy knitting!




Company: Blue Sky Alpacas
Yarn: Sport Yarn
Weight: sport weight
Fiber Content: 100% baby alpaca
Yardage:  110 yds (100 m)/ 50 g

4 comments: