Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Interview with Kristen Jancuk

As a participant in the Indie-Design Gift-A-Long, I have the pleasure of interviewing a fellow knitwear designer! What a great opportunity to get to know talent from a different part of the country! 
After you read a little bit about Kristen Jancuk, pop over to Ravelry to see which patterns she is offering in the GAL

She has some beautiful colorwork accessories...

and fun textured designs too!


First, let's learn more about Kristen.
Designer name: Kristen Jancuk
Ravelry name: MediaPeruana

How did you initially get started in knit-wear designing?I first approached it as a challenge--I'd like a thing that looks like X, can I do it? And write instructions clearly enough so other people could do it too? So I tried, and found I could do it, and really enjoyed it. So I just kept going!
 
Do you have any designing goals or aspirations?
I'd like to branch out into more garments--I have several sweater designs planned out, I just need the time to work on them!
I'd also love to do a collection inspired by Peru--and photograph it in Peru! It's not too far-fetched, my husband is Peruvian and we have  opportunities to travel there, but working out the timing would certainly be a challenge!
 
How would you describe your design style?
I always struggle with this kind of question--I take inspiration from so many different places, and really don't see any cohesive element in my designs!
 
When the knitting needles are down, what do you like to do in your spare time?
These days spare time is pretty hard to come by, I have my hands full with 2 little boys--21 months and 3 months! I enjoy wine tastings, reading magazines, baking, vegetable gardening, and preparing food for my toddler that he refuses to eat. ;)

Now, let's talk about the GAL!
How did you first hear about the Indie-Design GAL? And what made you decide to participate?
I read about it last year in the Designers group, but couldn't get my act together to participate. When I saw they were doing it again, I knew I had to give it a try! I love that it's a chance for indie designers to work together to promote their collective work, and to celebrate the upcoming holidays in a new way.
 
Do you plan to participate as a knitter during the GAL? If so, what are you planning to knit? If not, what do you WISH you were knitting? I'm trying to knit Hanna Maciejewska's All That Jazz hat, but I have so much going on, I'm not sure I'll finish!
 
From your designs, which one do you feel is a perfect pattern to make and gift? and why? I have to go with the Nevado hat. It's an easy to memorize combination of cables and waffle stitch, it comes in 3 sizes, and it's quite stretchy, so it really works for everyone.
 
 
Thanks for the chat, Kristen! 
 
Happy knitting, all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment