Sunday, September 23, 2012

Monogamous Knitter

I can't do it. I just can't do it. I cannot handle working on several different projects at once.

I am going to toot my own horn for a moment and declare that in general I am a pretty decent multi-tasker. It's sort of an unofficial job requirement for teachers (my former profession) and parents too, come to think of it. However, when it comes to knitting I truly cannot juggle multiple projects simultaneously. In the past two weeks, I have swatched and cast-on for three projects. I tried going back and forth between them, and although all the three patterns were simple, I just couldn't seem to give my knitting the attention it deserved and found myself making many silly mistakes. So I ended the juggling and began all over taking one project at a time.

I suppose it is time for me to face the truth. I admit it. I am a monogamous knitter.

 


Project #1:
Audrey's First Day, designed by Elizabeth Smith (it's in the Fall 2010 issue of Petite Purls), is a cropped cardigan that had Emma's name written all over it.


What a fast knit! I was able to knit the whole thing (well, nearly the whole thing) twice in 1 week. Now, remember, it is a child's sweater ( = small) and it was knit on size 8 needles at a bigger gauge of 4 stitches per inch (= quick).  Hey, that's my kind of knitting. Emma's cardigan was knit in Berroco Vintage in Aster and Blush at a slightly smaller gauge of 4.25 sts per inch. Due to the smaller gauge, I chose to go up a size (the 5-6 size) for my girl. The first time I knit this sweater, I made it in the 4 size because even with the smaller gauge the chest size seemed huge. However, after making up the body and working through one whole sleeve, I tried it on Emma and (at the suggestion of my wise husband) chose to rip it out and go up a size. Because let's be honest, kids are outstanding at doing one thing... growing. She'll get much more use out of the bigger size.


It is  a rare day when I can say I love a pattern. Well, today I can. I love this pattern. The designer wrote the instructions clearly, provided stitch counts regularly (which I love, love, love in a pattern) and overall created an adorable, wearable sweater (the kind that you want to knit again and again). Kudos to you, Elizabeth Smith!

Emma dressed herself that day. I love how she chose to wear 3 different handknits!

I haven't been exclusively sweater knitting lately. I completed one new design, played around with some swatching for another design, finished a cowl and I have one more kiddie sweater I want to knit before I throw myself back into Meg-sweater-knitting.

Project #2:
Here is another great pattern from Melissa LaBarre, the September Circle. 


Even though the pattern calls for fingering weight yarn (I used Schoppel-Wolle's Crazy Zauberball in the Flussbett colorway), it is knit on size 7 needles with an easy-to memorize lace pattern. So the whole thing knits up quickly. I'd definitely recommend using stitch markers to separate the pattern repeats. It makes for sane knitting.


Project #3:
So after finishing the cowl, I cast on a raglan cardigan for Tommy and so far, that too, is knitting up super fast. The back and front sides are done already!

Altogether, it has been a productive couple of weeks. Sweater #9 is done. Sweater #10 has been started. And I am de-stashing like crazy! Not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment