Sunday, September 30, 2012

Disastrous Knitting, Successful Sewing

So for the fourth time this year, I have knit a sweater that is too small for the recipient. Unbelievable. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I'm too distracted and therefore am not putting enough attention into each project?

My Miriam Cardigan is a bit snug. Tommy's Kangaroo Vest had an impossibly small collar that I had to rip out and re-knit. Audrey's First Day Cardigan was too snug, so I reknit it in the next size up. And now I have a fourth one to add to the list.

I was almost done my son's Raglan Sweater with Fully-Fashioned Shaping and stopped to notice something odd about all of the top joins of the raglans decreases, near the collar.

I know the pictures are hard look at, but see if you can spot the problem.






They look really sloppy, loose, and joined below the collar. Yuck! The sweater is knit in 5 parts before joining the raglans and then knitting the collar. I think the problem is that the first and second stitch of each raglan edge (of each part) is decreased right before it is put aside on scrap yarn. I think it would be much tidier if that last decrease was not made, but seamed together instead. Does that make sense?

It really doesn't make a big difference because I tried the sweater on Tommy and it "just fits." So I will have to make the next size up or knit a different sweater altogether. Ugh.

On a positive note, I did some sewing yesterday that went very well. I made both kids their very own gum-drop pillow.
 

Emma picked out her fabric (Hopscotch in hot pink -her favorite color- and Pinwheels in aqua from Sarah Jane Fabrics) and I selected Tommy's to match his increasingly nautical themed room (Anchors in Navy and Narwhal). I adore Sarah Jane Studio and her fabric line. Emma's fabrics are from her Children at Play collection and Tommy's fabrics are from her newly released Out to Sea collection.


He also has a print from the same collection framed in his room. So cute, right?


And a couple of weeks ago, I covered his toy chest with A Pirate's Life print from the Out to Sea collection.


At least something good came of this weekend of crafting.

No comments:

Post a Comment